Saturday, January 05, 2008

A New Fiscal Year?

The New Year is so convenient for rethinking the way I live and the things I do, especially when school doesn’t begin until the 16th and I have no “real” job to occupy this time, but that’s exactly the first thing that occupies my mind when evaluating where I’m going. I’ve never quite adjusted to my TA pay, I’ve actually handled the over 50% cut in income very poorly. I still live like I did this time last year to the detriment of my bank account and change is very, very hard. Living alone definitely compounds the problem with having to foot the entire bill for all the utilities, trying to cook economically for one, and either failing in that or just deciding to meet a friend for dinner to make up for the lack of human companionship that comes with not having a roommate to come home to.

But it’s not the pain of seeing my dwindling account and mounting bills that stings the most, it’s, rather, the resentment that builds up when you don’t feel adequately compensated. It’s also problematic, for me, that it seems COM doesn’t quite respect student payment in the first place; maybe I’m spoiled to always being paid, be it at Berry or Settebello or even the Fannin Inn, on a biweekly basis, but I’ve found myself five steps behind every month due to COM (or is it BU’s?) end of the month pay schedule. It’s not just that we only get one check at the end of the month, it’s that I’m not paid in a timely matter and so I find myself working and then getting paid several weeks after the fact. I almost had a meltdown at the beginning of the school year when I found out there would be no monies for a month and that after a summer of not being paid I still had to wait till October in order to have any cash in my account.

And then there’s my odd job I did for the Haneke Conference at the end of October for which I was finally paid just last week. Two months later! And what was even more stressful about that is the added burden of having to foot the bill for the DV tapes myself; the $94 was paid over a month ago, a purchase I made on my credit card because I naively assumed I’d be reimbursed and paid before the bill came due.

But what always takes the cake is the unpaid internship. 95% of the time, I really don’t mind working at the museum for free. Not only do I have nothing else to do with that time, I am learning so much, getting experience I’d never get elsewhere, and really enjoying myself. But there’s always a moment, every few weeks or so, when it’s very clear that someone I’m working for is taking the volunteer for granted and using me to pick up the slack when they’ve lollygagged for three days straight or just plain do the work for them. It is on these days that I’m ever thankful that I live where I do and can have a therapeutic walk home rather than stuffing myself on a train. Maybe that was the problem in DC, not being able to have a moment to breathe in the stuffy swamp.

So here I am, the beginning of my last semester, and even though I have a great thesis to tackle (another entry here soon) I’m overly excited and optimistic about getting a job this summer. I’m just so sick of thinking that I could be at Taco Bell right now making more money and doing half the work. There’s a part of me, I guess this would be my brain, that realizes both that the kind of work I’m looking into doesn’t pay very well and that getting such a job will be very difficult, but the way I feel it, in my gut like Colbert, at least I’ve got a choice when this is over. It may suck for a while if I can't find a job quickly, but I’ll have the degree and I will not hesitate to tell people to piss off if their offer isn’t acceptable.

And that is what I'm looking forward to in 2008.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:26 AM , Blogger A Bookish Woman said...

I love that your southernisms come out in sometimes unexpected ways...such as your use of the word monies as opposed to money. It's cute. I like it.

Unpaid internships really are dreadful...it's kind of like, yes, you're learning valuable things and yes, it fills up time that you would otherwise be bored and have nothing to do, but as much as you like what you're doing and enjoy learning, it's always extremely discouraging to have no real, tangible reward for such work. This is why I am still a fan of grades, since in essence academia is similar, and feedback is necessary for encouragement (and if it's not monetary feedback, a letter grade is at least something to work for). But when it comes down to it, interns should get paid, at least minimally. It's not right that humanities interns get nothing while business and other interns not only get paid, but usually pretty well. In essence, the museum (and other places with unpaid interns) is getting a skilled worker for free...and that's just upsetting. You have a college degree. You're about to have a second one. But the fact of the matter is, it ironically doesn't matter, at least monetarily, because you could be working at Taco Bell right now for more money...and that's just wrong.

And as far as the job post-degree goes...I think it's OK for you to be a least a little optimistic at this point because you do have great experience, you're a good worker, you're intelligent, you're responsible...you're essentially what any employer would want for their employee! Don't give up before you've even started looking! Look at me! I found a job (albeit not a great one) 2 weeks after I started looking, making more than what a lot of my peers in the humanities make in entry-level positions, and I'm in Rome. Granted, I still don't make nearly enough and find myself wondering how people live on this kind of salary with children (I now understand why people run up thousands in credit card debt...), but it's something.

Ahhh. I feel somewhat hypocritical bolstering you up. I'm sure that whenever I'm graduating from grad school, I'll be worried and in desperate need of Alison to make me believe I can do it (kind of like you're doing right now with the grad apps). But I really do believe in you! I feel like you're going to get an incredible job, and love it.

 
At 8:09 PM , Blogger Laura said...

I hope you're not planning to get a job in academia. Because everyone pays too little, once a month, and often late. It's the ridiculously convoluted bureaucracy of the modern university that does it.

Also, I'm only getting paid a couple hundred dollars more a month as an Assistant Instructor than I was as a TA & Writing Fellow.

I'm not complaining, because there's nothing else I'd want to do with my life, but I thought I'd let you know it's not just BU. It's the whole system.

On a more positive note, I can't wait for the post on your thesis!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home